I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tints




It's all about how we view our world. The color of the shades drawn over our eyes, the color of the glass we are squinting out of. None of us are free from tinted filters. When I lost my hair, I was on one side of the glass where everything was drab, flesh-colored. I mean my flesh. The color of Caucasian skin that has not seen sun. Not translucent, but definitely that humiliating color of paste. The world one the other side seemed to have so much color. Flowing reds, flax and golden waves, onyx black. You get the idea. Hair. Everyone had it and it was so colorful and long and soft. Feminine. Attractive. Healthy.

Now I see the entire world, with me in it, through different filters depending on my circumstances. Today the world is pink. Soft on a foggy winter's day that feels like spring, relaxed and hopeful. And I feel classy, feminine. In the 5 years that I have been dealing with Alopecia Universalis, I have come to at least see the world without a glass partition cutting me off from everyone else. Even if my world is colored (sometimes a melancholy blue, sometimes a cliche envious green, sometimes a forbidden red), it is a world I can move around in without shame.

1 comment:

  1. "We are who we choose to be." - The Green Goblin, Spiderman (2002) I think we saw this one together in Bristol. The worst was X-Men 2 because I had to explain everyone's powers to John.

    ReplyDelete