I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Measuring Up

Time for another post about Barbie. She's just indomitable. Now, we've all heard the argument that Barbie's measurements are not anatomically possible, but have you ever visualized it?

http://mightyhips.wordpress.com/barbie-doll/

There you have it. :)

Now, I don't actually think this is what Barbie would look like as a real person. I think she would look more like what's represented here:

Still, looking at that top image is a great reminder about the importance of proportion. We feel uncomfortable when we see things that are out of proportion. Or we laugh. We get camera lenses with hilarious distortion effects, or we hang out in front of fun house mirrors.

Regardless of our reactions, we know what an acceptable human form is. Diseases that cause people to have over-sized features or diets that shrink body parts down give us the heebie jeebies.

Most of us, though, don't see these anomalies on a daily basis. We do, however, constantly size ourselves up, literally. "My (fill in the blank) is too big/small." Says who? Have you actually measured the part in question and compared it on a medical chart? Do you honestly think people are looking at you and seeing a distorted image that defies human proportions?

Usually, the answer to the last two questions is "No". That first question goes to the heart of what this blog is all about. Who decides what is beautiful, or even what is normal?

When I look in the mirror or at a photo of myself and complain about how small my head is, what is actually bothering me? Am I really upset that my head doesn't take up as much space as the person's next to me? Or am I comparing my head size to the "ideal" version of me that exists in my head?

Here's a better example: when I complain about my flat chest, what am I comparing myself to? That's easy: Barbie. Marketing and media have determined the most beautiful proportions for women. If I don't measure up (ha!), I feel less womanly, and less human.

Head size hasn't exactly been marketed, but clearly I have some idea that heads should be a certain size. Whenever I watch the newest Pride and Prejudice, I can't help but laugh at how small Keira Knightley's head looks next to Donald Sutherland's.

It comforts me to know that a beautiful, well-loved actress appears to have a pretty small head.

So you might be wondering, "How small is her head?" Well, here it is. This is a picture of me with my students last fall:


There I am, on the bottom row, second in from the right. It's a small head, right? :)

Why am I so self-conscious of my head? Can we allow ourselves, and others, more room for varying measurements without getting squeamish? Even though that life-size Barbie doll looks ridiculous to us, what if there were really someone in the world who looked like that? Could we make room?

Proportions are useful inasmuch as they are functional. If a person is up and walking around, smiling and breathing, why should their measurements matter?

Lots of questioning and disconnected thoughts here. Care to weigh in?

1 comment:

  1. I remember looking at pictures of Wendy & Dawn sitting in the grass with their cousins - all the other kids of the Fiske Clan... and wondering why my girls seem to have bigger heads than the others - - and now we're talking about it being smaller... hahaha I can see the young fella right next to you has a tiny head, the girl on the other side of you is sitting way out front, and the back row of people are the 'boxed face' style that always appears broader (bigger). Could it be then that our concerns are merely the differences in our genes? Sure it is. I happen to believe that your head is Just the Right Size!!!! for Wendy!

    ReplyDelete