I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Circus lady

I'm about to make you jealous. Ready? Imagine this: a peaceful drive through beautiful green palm trees, the ocean at your side; sipping an iced latte poolside as you gaze out over a crystal clear ocean reef; the sun beaming down as you close your eyes and hear the sounds of kids laughing and splashing. Sound relaxing? It should have been. And I should be accustomed to people staring at my bald head by now. But I've never experienced the staring like I did this past weekend when I was on a mini-vacation. First, there was the drive. It's summer here in the Philippines, our car is black, I want absolutely nothing covering my head when I'm out. So there I am, sitting in the passenger seat, in the privacy of my own car, bald. We pull up behind a small pickup truck with half a dozen girls riding in the back. One is awake, the rest are sleeping. I already know she will see me and stare, but I'm not prepared for her to actually wake everyone else up by shaking them, just so they can all get a glimpse of me, the "freak". I ask my husband to pass the truck illegally just so I can get away from the gawking. Then we find ourselves at this great hotel with beautiful ocean views. I am ready to read a book, relax, and watch my kids have the time of their life on the water slide...but first I have to walk through the grounds and find a place by the pool. This is a picture of that day: I have never felt so conspicuous. People stopped what they were doing to stare at me. They were out swimming in the ocean and they grouped together, pointing and coming closer. And here, people don't look away if you catch them staring. They hold that gaze. I tried not to let it bother me, but I ended up hiding in my room more than I wanted to. My husband told me they were staring because I'm so beautiful. (Nice one, honey.) And that's what friends and family tell me. But there is this element of abnormality that people are taken by, and I can't pretend it isn't there. I myself have stared at people who have lost limbs or have skin conditions, not thinking they are "freaks" but just captivated by something so different than what I experience in my own body. And now I am one of those people. I can't hold it against anyone who stares. Of course they will stare. I am not normal. I know this will make many of you question "What is normal, anyway?" But we have to admit that there are norms when it comes to human appearance. There are healthy bodies, and there are bodies that have obviously gone awry. When we see something that testifies to un-health, we are bothered by that. It's a normal human reaction. Maybe with increased exposure we can come to a place of peace about the variations we see in bodies. But in a place where appearances really matter, like the place I find myself living in now, it really just stinks to be the freak. Again, my well-intentioned husband tells me to strut when I see people staring. But I want to crumple up and disappear. It's ironic, because in high school I felt so plain and unnoticed that I would sit at home and daydream for hours about being in the spotlight somehow. Well, I made it into the spotlight, like it or not. So I know I need to move from a place of wounded pride to a placed of weathered pride, the kind of pride that says "I have learned that I am beautiful because I was created and I am known by my Creator". But how to react to the stares? Sometimes I want to make a face at people who are staring. Sometimes I want to act more distraught than I am, just to shame them. These are honest, gut-level reactions I'm confessing. Usually, I pretend I don't see people staring. I just feel the heat rise in my face and quietly suffer from embarrassment. But maybe I should learn to smile graciously and welcome the stares. Maybe then people will see past the bald head to the character being formed. Maybe then the next time they see someone else with a stare-worthy feature they will be gentle, remembering that they once saw a bald woman whose "abnormality" made her tender, not bitter. This journey is a long one.

4 comments:

  1. Mike just finished the book "Trident"... he said it spoke a lot about the stares of other's when they see something that is different, abnormal. The fellow happened to be a soldier who was shot in the face, his nose and jaw gone. He decided to tell everyone staring the words thru T-Shirts - - actually started a business now so other's can get the shirts that speak what needs to be said. Your journey is a long one! I think it would be great for you to stand tall and smile big and say "Yes, I've lost my hair.... you want to know how?" and see if conversation takes you to many other new relationships. Those people ARE different tho and their reactions or not what I think we here in the US would do. I appreciate your Blog and your sharing!!!! xoxoxo MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big believer in "fake it 'til you make it!" Sadly, I feel that the nature of human beings is to push the buttons that don't want to be pushed, to pull the red cord that says "don't pull!", so in order to counter balance those instincts of others, perhaps the best thing to do is as you mentioned in the last part of your story. To face the stares head on, but with grace. Smile, wave, be as bold as you can be by asking "Are you curious about my looks?" Maybe then, even in other cultures, the people will be shaken out of their mindset that you are a "freak" or not a human, and realize you are indeed someone with a heart, someone with a story, and one worth listening to! My heart is always with you, sis! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through Alopecia World and I am so glad I did! I have felt much the same as you but I have never been self confident enough to be publicly bald like that. I've seen people staring when I am in my car though. While I wish I could just make eye contact and give a friendly smile, I always look away. I feel I am constantly debating with myself about which is worse: the physical discomfort of a head covering or the mental discomfort I feel when strangers see me bald. For the record, I think your husband is right---you look like a total rock star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that feeling--wanting to be comfortable in the privacy of your car but seeing people stare. It doesn't feel fair. It's making us stronger, blah blah blah. ;) I'm so glad you found the blog. I feel bad, I haven't signed on to Alopecia World in so long! It's a great community. I just get spread so thin--I have a hard time keeping up. But I will try to go back in and see if my password still works there. :)

      Delete