I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Mirror Has Two Faces

I can't believe I haven't posted anything about my favorite movie on this blog yet! Have you ever seen "The Mirror Has Two Faces"? Get it. Watch it. Love it.

I saw it in high school, and I immediately fell in love with it. The actors, the cinematography, the soundtrack, the theme. Everything.



When I watch this film, I'm reminded that beauty is something we have to feel inside of ourselves, no matter what judgments we make about the image we see in the mirror. Mirrors, after all, reflect our feelings about how we look.

Yesterday I was in my bathroom, putting on my eyebrows and makeup like I always do. I felt good about the finished product when I looked in the mirror. A few hours later, I was in another bathroom, looking in another mirror.

My reflection had totally changed.

My eyebrows were crooked, my eyeliner looked patchy, my scarf looked lumpy...in short, I looked a mess.

Even later, in a third mirror, I was surprised to see that I looked really pretty. Hmmm...

Was the lighting different? Was the angle different?

Or was it my expectation, my attitude and emotions at the time, my sense of comparison with other people I saw, etc.?

Maybe a combination of both. The point is, the mirror actually has several faces. And the truest mirror is when we see ourselves reflected in other people. Someone gives us a kind smile and we feel the goodness of humanity. Or someone acts selfishly and we recoil, recognizing our own capacity for selfishness.

So, next time you look in a mirror, try to see the different layers of reality being reflected back to you. Your own impression of how you look, your personal standard of beauty and how subjectively you think you measure up, even your mood. The mirror shows it all. And it's all beautiful

2 comments:

  1. My newest favourite "mirror" is the camera lens. I just had a few quick portraits done, and it's amazing how much different I look to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, portraits are powerful! You see yourself differently, and each time you look back at them you might see yourself in a different light. :)

    ReplyDelete