I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A little bleeding now and then

What a mess I was today. Let me give you a picture of what I looked like at about 2:00 in the afternoon:
--a new pair of shoes had given me a bloody heel, which stained the hem of my pants;
--my earlobe was bleeding from a cheap metal earring;
--days and days of nervous finger-picking had left most of my fingers scraped and raw;
--and, I over-squeezed the teeniest little blemish on my face, leaving an oozing red blood blister.

And I didn't care.

If I had run into anyone outside, I would have stayed and chatted head-on as the occasion called for instead of pretending to get a phone call or strategically turning my face to expose my unblemished side.

I guess I've just been too tired to care lately. Either that, or I feel older. Two years ago, or even last year, all I cared about was looking good. Now, I still try to look good, but I just don't put the same amount of time and energy into it. And I feel much more free. Why try to hide my humanity?

I have a challenge for you. Give yourself a blemish. Not literally. I mean, dare to let some raw, real part of yourself see daylight. If you're bleeding, let it show instead of smearing it over with cover-up. Then take a step back and get some perspective. There are so many facets to daily human existence--do you really have the energy to fret over the assumed perception that you have both invented and yet also fear to face?

2 comments:

  1. haha.... funny because we all surely go thru this, especially when we've others to attend to and it leaves little time for ourselves. Getting older is much the same - we can't cover the age spots, the wrinkles, the yellowing teeth and eyes. I do know that looking around I see many others that are just as human. Go Figure! haha I love this story cause it reminds me of ME. and yet I know I don't look at others with the same microscope, so I've tried hard not to use it on me anymore also. Love your challenge today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm getting over that kind of stuff more and more. I can walk around with "human" imperfections and not be totally derailed when I run into someone else. It does make me enjoy the times (rare moment actually) when I have a clear face, I'm put together, my hair isn't flying away everywhere... and I can just get dressed and leave the house looking impossibly fresh. I wish I could have that confidence all the time, but I guess that takes practice. :)

    ReplyDelete