I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

All Dressed Up

How many of you feel like it's a waste to get dressed up if no one will see you? I get these nice work digs on, drive to work, sit in the tutoring center with no customers, and then drive home to change clothes. By the time my husband gets home, I'm "bald, sweatpants, food stains" mom. I will often stay in my work clothes until he gets home, no matter how uncomfortable I am. Then, of course, I end up getting taco sauce or vegetable oil on my nice clothes. But what's the point of looking nice if no one's looking?

Why can't I just be good enough for myself?

Here's my plan:

Step 1. I'm on the hunt for super cute lounging clothes that I can feel sexy in at home.
Step 2. Time to invest in more big, dangly earrings. They dress anything up!
Step 3. Sending pics of my fancy self to hubby at work? Why not?!
Step 4. Look in the mirror at work and say "Wow, you look really nice, honey." And believe it.
Step 5. Go to the grocery store in dumpy clothes whenever I can to break the habit of wondering what people, men in particular, think of how I look.

What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good plan. :) My downfall is makeup. I wear it everywhere just in case I see ANYONE! It's like that commercial. In place of people's faces, I feel like they're just big mirrors reflecting my not-so-smooth skin. I have to remember that if they judge me for that, I don't want them in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one believe if we start with those underneath things that make us feel soft & beautiful, confident.... strong women, we can dress anyway we want on top of that and still FEEL what we can to make it as mothers, wifes, teachers, friends! So put that comfy sweat suit over that soft lacey and enjoy! LOL

    ReplyDelete