I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Cryyyyyin'



This is how I wish I looked when I'm crying. Beautiful, tragic, damsel-in-distress, dark but still lovely. (I got this image from a Google search and it credited www.goodreads.com, but I couldn't find the original.)

Instead, both because I'm bald and because I'm older and stressed out all the time, this is what I look like when I cry:

Not the look I'm going for when I'm trying to get pity from someone. I guess the wrinkles and the lack of hair to hide them are what bother me here. And this is not the worst of it. This is my impression of myself crying.

Just another way that dressed up images I see influence my own reality and make me wish that I were someone else. What a tragedy that I deny my own lived experience based on my skewed version of what a beautiful person looks like.

Well, this is what I look like when I cry. I have to live with it. I'm sure no one is repulsed. When I cry, my heart is spilling out. I hope that becomes more important to me than wondering how I look to the person I'm crying to.

2 comments:

  1. I wish no one had to see me when I'm crying, which is why I went to the closet I suppose! and I wish no one had to see my laughing cause it's even worse to see... hahaha - - but seriously... I wish I could always look calm and beautiful. But we must remember that everyone has moments they'd rather not show others. Everyone does, and yet the beautiful women we see on film have been made to look dark and beautiful even in the worst of times. Alas - - it's NOT reality!!! I see lots of people with tears, wrinkles, runny noses, bloodshot eyes, greasy hair, moles.... God put those marks on all of us. And when I look I see his reasoning, his beauty! It keeps our vanity in check. Well, that's just me talking.... MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. If no one sees you cry, you will miss the extra measure of love to be poured out on you
    If someone sees you crying and looks away, they have a hardened heart and need an extra measure of love poured out on them. Jesus knows our pain in this world but take heart! He has overcome the world. Like our heavenly father sees you as his beautiful creation, so does your earthly father.

    ReplyDelete