I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Let your bald down...



"Mommy, why does Elsa let her hair down?"

Yes, why does she? A woman who wants to be "free" always lets her hair down. It's coiled up tight, restricted, and then with one swift move it cascades out and is flung about by a carefree wind. 8

I wish I knew what that feels like. For me, breaking free from expectations and being who I was meant to be looks more like unwrapping a scarf and throwing it into the wind, revealing a bald head.

Not quite the same effect.

The problem is that I need more visuals that reflect my experience. I need more "movie moments" in my head where a woman is standing bald and proud, letting the world see her skin instead of a wild rush of hair.

Maybe it's time for another photo shoot....

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy to do the bald and free movie moments!!! You rock that bald head :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can support and love, but I can't imagine truly how you feel. So easy to say "I have bad hair days... you're so lucky" -- but those day's can end with a shower and a new day. Cheers to YOU and how you carry this particular tribulation. Love you -- MOM

    ReplyDelete