I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dolls Going Bald

For all of you who have been watching out for the bald Barbie, apparently there is some competition to see who can do bald better:


That's right, da Bratz are going bald! This is, of course, for cancer awareness...but as an alopecian I'm loving this new trend (click here for more info on the Bratz unveiling).

Now, I know this is a money-making gimmick, but the motive will not change the outcome: little girls and boys are going to be seeing bald heads on the shelves and they are going to be wanting one.

You may have your own thoughts about whether this whole thing is helpful, or right, or important at all, but I guess my feeling is that bald Barbies and Bratz dolls are going to start a trend where female baldness is normalized and de-stigmatized, at least somewhat. I still have issues with the amount of makeup these dolls have on, and their figures, but at least they are projecting an image of feminine beauty that does not revolve around hair.

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I think more women may even shave their heads - humans love to follow a trend. Now if they can also learn from all of this that's is not always a Trend Style, but something that becomes a lifechange in many lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just takes seeing bald heads to get used to them. In that sense, dolls can certainly help. When I saw the Bratz dolls first, I thought they had made a bald "tomboy" girl as well. Unfortunately, it appeared to be a boy doll. I am not a fan of the "classic feminine dolls" and prefer Waldorf (cloth) dolls. These don't come bald, as a large seam runs over the top of the head. I hope they will find ways to put that seam somewhere else and make bald Waldorf dolls. They are so cute and nice to dress without the make-up and fashion exaggeration.

    Rose from AW

    ReplyDelete