I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Get Your Groove On...or something like that



Yes, I'm the girl taking pictures of herself in the mirror at the gym. I just get tired of stealing other people's photos off the Internet.

I just joined this little fitness center, and today was my second day using it. I went yesterday afternoon, thinking it would be empty.

Wrong.

Full of men lifting weights and talking trash to each other. And here comes little ol' me. I actually thought I was doing pretty well, holding my own and looking like I belonged there...until I slipped a bit on the treadmill. It was a little tiny slip, but I think I uttered some kind of surprised noise. Not sure. But I just kept on running. I don't even think my face stayed red for that long. An improvement for me, for sure.

So today I went in the morning (I just love my part-time work schedule). And I was the only one there! So I took advantage--taking photos of my bad self, putting the radio on and practicing my Zumba toning moves with free weights, that kind of thing. I know, none of you would ever do anything like that, alone or not.

As I was watching my bad self in the wall-sized mirror, I was struck by how funny it was that I had given so much thought to what I wore to the gym. I really, really want to look feminine at the gym. I don't want to go in there with a bandana and no earrings, just on the off chance that someone mistakes me for an adolescent boy. So I get my zebra print scarves out and do my makeup, all for an hour of getting stinky and falling off the treadmill.

Why? If I go to the gym and men look at me, I get really creeped out. The answer is that if I go to the gym and no one is there, I actually really enjoy watching myself in the mirror--if I look the part, that is. (By the way, I get my ideas of what a workout outfit should look like from MTV's The Grind workout videos from the 90s.) If I look like I could be on a workout video, I'm happy. I guess I imagine that if I practice enough, someday I can feel as good when there are people to watch me. I know, I'm so vain. I probably think this blog is about me...

At one point during my little workout, I laughed out loud. Here I was, watching my biceps flex (if I squinted and got really close to the mirror) and keeping an eye on the door--and I was convinced I really looked good. But I'm realistic enough to know that I actually looked a bit foolish. Cool at times, but mostly foolish.

But I think that's okay. As soon as someone comes in the door, I feel like a little girl who's out of her league. But by myself, I'm really something! The point, I think, of this whole post is that we need those moments where we can stand all alone in front of a mirrored wall and bust out some moves that boost our confidence--even if the moment only lasts until another person walks in.

No matter your body shape or size, you can feel good when you look in the mirror at a gym. You can. First of all, anyone looks good with a barbell in their hand or sitting on an exercise ball.



Secondly, you are at a gym! You should feel great about making that choice. And finally, I think we all have to have some degree of love for our bodies. We get what we get, and we don't throw a fit, as they say in preschool. It can be scary to look at yourself full on like that, but if you find yourself all alone with the freedom to take it in, just enjoy who you are when no one is watching. Laugh a little but keep on dancing. Or swiveling. Or whatever it is you're doing in front of that mirror. If a bald girl can feel good in front of a mirror, so can you.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! We should all have the full length mirror. It's a great place to learn to love ourselves and it's a wonderful tool to work on our outer appearance - to see what other's may see. Much like toastmaster's.... speaking in front of the mirror helped me discover what I wanted my face to do with certain words and ideas. Great Tool - glad you had such a wonderful time with just yourselve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really made me smile! Yes, every one does this, I'm sure! Especially at a gym. I like dressing up and looking the part for the gym, too... But if men look at me (on the rare chance its not an eighty year old) I actually like it. Lol! I like to sit by and watch, sometimes count the amount of times a person will look at themselves while near any kind of reflection. Its pretty amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are gaining confidence in your appearance, and hopefully feeding that confidence to your inner self. It isn't enough to hear compliments on appearance from others, is it... at least it isn't lasting, not for me anyway. Hard to believe I hear any, I know (and that speaks to my lack of confidence, doesn't it?). It isn't spiritual muscle, just candy but it gives us a burst of energy when we need it. Then the inevitable crash happens if we don't get fed more foundational food.
    Ever wonder why gyms are lined with mirrors? I think they feed us candy. I think they must feed the need to like ourselves but is it good nutrition? I rarely looked in the mirrors at gyms because all the other guys were looking at themselves and it made me uncomfortable. I'm not sure why, but it made me work harder... to be able to someday look at myself and like what I see. 40 years later, I'm finally liking what I see more and actually take a long enough look to really see. I see the reflections of the people that love and encourage me. I see the people I have loved and those I support and knowingly or unknowingly encourage. I see God behind us all, smiling because I finally get it. It's all about US.

    ReplyDelete