I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Friday, January 25, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty: Day 2

Today I had so many moments of beauty that I wondered how I would choose one to write about. Then came another stressful evening and I find myself needing to write about all of them.

The first happened this morning as I set off for an errand in my car. I turned on NPR, but instead of talk I found myself listening to a lovely little track that so perfectly fit my mood at the moment.

Then, I went to a nonprofit organization with a friend today. It's not quite in my neighborhood, but close enough that I know the area pretty well. This agency serves those in poverty, equipping them with skills they need to gain employment. While there, I saw a bone thin man with stringy hair shuffling around--and I knew his face. I've seen him on the train before. It hit me then that I really am getting to know my community. I was struck by my interconnectedness to other people.

Finally, tonight I had to drive into the city for a high school basketball game. I didn't want to, because I thought I would be stuck in traffic for too long with hungry, screaming kids in the back. But the road was clear, and the city was beautiful tonight. I was reminded how much I love getting out and seeing the night lights.

So, how about you? When was the last time you felt the interconnection between you, your fellow human, and the place where you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment