I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 6

While chatting with a friend today, I realized that I still get hung up on my flaws. I want to be flawless, and I think that I can't be loved if my flaws show.

Well, today I will attempt to see and describe the beauty in my flaws. I'll spare you, dear readers, by just sharing one.

I am horribly impatient. I feel like I want to jump out of my skin any time I have to wait for something. Most people don't know that about me--just my family, who bear the brunt of my impatience in the form of yelling, prodding, irritation and general meanness.

How in the world could this be beautiful? (This is going to be a stretch...)

1. I am not a lifeless blob. I am full of atomic energy.

2.

Well, that's as far as I can get tonight. Nothing else is coming to me. But hey, it's a start, right? For someone as steeped in self-judgment as I am, seeing even a little beauty in a major flaw is big news.

I challenge you to examine your flaws and appreciate them as distinct marks of humanity. Which just inspired me...

2. My impatience allows God to more fully and wonderfully demonstrate his peace and unhurried love.

Beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I'm different in that I have patience.... now. But, Wendy, remember our mornings when I tried to get you girls up and around and to school so I could get to work On Time.... and I was always late. Why? Planning? Organization? mmmmmmm those were my flaws I suppose. But I can look back now, and I can watch young mothers now, and just say "Life is beautiful with little ones.... strange & unexpected wildness." Yes, we all have those moments. I can remember back to My Mom screaming at her 3 wild kids. I think it's a Season of Motherhood. Thank goodness I get to look Back at it. >)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty in impatience - Does it force you to think outside the box to get things done in a more efficient manner?

    I'm tempted to say my biggest flaw is something physical... but that makes me realize the actual flaw is in how I see myself. My low self-worth. The beauty I've experienced through that flaw is that I can see when others have the same problem. It's always easier to help others than it is to help myself. But I'm grateful for the ability to open my heart to those who need it.

    ReplyDelete