I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Inventory

Ways the world is changing me:

--I honk my horn while I'm driving now.
--I go to my job at a university with a plan in mind in case there is an active shooter.
--I get restless when it's too quiet.
--I can't go for walks by myself without at least some degree of fear.
--I can't go for walks at night, which used to be my favorite thing to do.
--My body rejects the staple food of my society: wheat.
--I drive with my phone on my lap.


Ways I am changing the world:
--I joined the Advisory Council for the park in my neighborhood.
--I teach English to immigrants and international students.
--I write this blog about how to recognize beauty "off the magazine rack".
--I intentionally send my kids to multicultural schools.
--I vote in Participatory Budgeting in my neighborhood.
--I sponsor two children through World Vision in Zimbabwe and Congo.
--I buy lunch for friends on a regular basis.
--I have my daughter in multiple therapeutic activities to provide her a solid foundation for dealing with her ADHD.
--I have taught classes preparing immigrants for their naturalization exam.


Just to name a few on a moment's notice.

2 comments:

  1. You're an amazing person.

    I've been feeling pretty down lately. Perhaps if I kept an inventory like this I would remember the things I've done to help others or change the world. Thanks for the reminder to remember! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's hard for us to see the good we're doing or to see our worth.... so a list like this is Very Important!!! It's easy to be hard on ourselves and get depressed, but thank goodness we have reminders like this one to list out all we have & do, to see that "yes" we are important. and I for one think you two girls have grown into wonderful women - women I am VERY VERY Proud of!

    ReplyDelete