I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The 10-Day Redefining Challenge--Day 3

Before I issue today's challenge, I need to admit something. I totally failed yesterday's. Looking in mirrors and windows is such a habit for me! I need to work on that. I don't mean that my goal is to never look in a mirror again; I just mean that I need to stop taking every opportunity to glance at myself. I mean, how much can my appearance really change in half an hour?

So one of the times I looked my reflection in a window today was at work. I was wearing high heels, and for some reason today they kept slipping off the backs of my heels. I had to develop a strange sort of waddle in order to keep them on without rubbing my skin raw on the outside of my big toes. I glanced in a window at work to make sure I didn't look like I was walking with a twisted ankle. I ended up taking my shoes off as soon as I got outside and walking barefoot through campus to the parking garage (outside of which I slipped them back on--I want to be comfortable, but I also want to be tetanus-free as long as I can).

Yep, there I was in a white ruffle blouse and khaki slacks...and bare feet. It felt amazing. This may be a new routine for me--waling to and from class with no shoes! I made a choice based on comfort rather than the reactions of society at large (or at least the students and construction workers whom I passed on my shoeless journey). It reminded me of a day last week when I had to apologize to my students for being unprofessional as I donned my jacket in class. It was just so frickin' cold in the classroom!

Today's challenge is to be comfortable. Take those heels off and walk flat-footed for awhile, no matter who's looking. Wear something frumpy to work (nothing that will get you fired, of course). Don't wear eye makeup if it makes your eyes itch. Wear comfy pants, shoes that fit, shorts that don't ride up, and bras that let you breathe. And relish the feeling of freedom that comes with making a choice for YOU!


(Image taken from www.shape.com)

2 comments:

  1. 1st, on yesterday's challenge, watch all those around you - they are taking every chance to look at their own reflection. We always want to see what others must see. But it will be different for each one as our eyes take the image to our brain, and then we all register it very differently anyway. I can only hope they keep looking a bit deeper to the heart :)

    2nd - today's challenge of comfort - I am so grateful for the job I now have and hopefully it will be the last one til retirement (Lord, agree with me please, thanks) where I only dress up a little bit so I feel somewhat professional - old habits are hard to break = but luckily it's so laid back and comfortable. I don't feel judged at all. Course, there's no mirrors and no people walking past to see me.... so it must be that, right? We really do want to look good and proper to others and so knowing no one is looking, I am laid back. Funny!!!! Enjoy the challege today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm gonna take this challenge and flip it. I wear t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops pretty much every single day. But I feel frumpy and ugly most of the time. So maybe (once I get all my clothes unpacked) I will START dressing nicer to work. I still want to be comfy, but now that I'm the first person people see when they walk in to this lovely new office, I want to make a better impression. It may go against what you're trying to do here... but I'm a rebel. ;)

    ReplyDelete