I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

The 10-Day Redefining Challenge--Day 9

I hate the thought of being loud. Of disturbing anyone. To the point where, more often than not, I get ignored because no one thinks I'm talking to them. I talk a lot, but people can't seem to hear me. Literally, people can't hear my soft voice.

I'm so afraid of being a loudmouth. Loud sounds tend to grate on my nerves, so I assume they do for everyone else. I like to whisper in restaurants, on planes, and in line for theater tickets. When I am with a person who speaks louder than I do, I squirm every time they open their mouth.

I also like to stay out of everyone's way. I hug the fence when I walk along the sidewalk, constantly turning around to make sure I'm not blocking anyone's path. I am offended on behalf of people behind us when I am walking with someone who is oblivious to the fact that other people might be sharing the sidewalk.

In short, I value my place in society to the extent that I am able to hide myself in it.

But today I brought my kids to Target, and the three of us were criticized by another mom there with her baby. My kids were actually not being too bad; they were each pushing a little cart, and I had to remind them that other people were trying to get by in the aisles (for some odd reason, 4 pm was like Happy Hour at Target today--every aisle was crowded), but they never actually ran into anybody. And they weren't being loud until we were in the checkout line. My son started crying when I told him he had to stop pushing his cart. I only had to tell him because the woman in front of me, the same woman we kept bumping into throughout the store, was frowning at my kids and rolling her eyes. I finally apologized, and she muttered something under her breath to me.

We continued:

Me: "Well, I sure hope you don't have to deal with any of these issues when your little one (the baby in the cart throwing his bottle on the floor) grows up."

Her: "Don't even start with me. You are out of control."

Me: "...Wow."

I felt so sad that my kids and I were not, and are not, free to move and speak at will without constantly bothering someone. The general public has no tolerance for my kids, and it hurts to realize that the sentiment which breaks my heart also resides there often. I often can't stand to be around my kids in public.

But they, and I, live here and play here and have just as much claim here as anyone else. Why should I care how loud my voice is when I'm in a grocery store? In a library, I get it. Believe me, libraries are sacred places to me. But in Target?

And how hard is it to step around a child who is blocking your path, in blissful oblivion (as children know how to enjoy much better than adults)? Is it really so hard to share this world with other people?

I would like to redefine what it means to be part of the crowd. I'd like to discover the beauty of my own voice rising above all other noise. I'd like to bump into someone and find joy in the fact that we share a space which connects us.

My challenge for the day is to turn up the volume and take up more space! I will consciously raise my voice a little louder today. I will walk where I need to walk and hope that others will accommodate me, as I will for them.

Some of you may not struggle with this; your problem may be the opposite. But that's another challenge for another day. Today we celebrate being free in our personal space.

Here I come!


2 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! Go get 'em sis!

    I've noticed throughout my life that my idea of "space" has changed. In school, through highschool even, I was always the one to get out of the way, walk softly but quickly to spend the least amount of time possible in the hallways with other kids. But as I've grown and experienced lots more of life, I've noticed that when I walk with my head high, with purpose and confidence, people notice me and get out of MY way (if necessary.) :)

    I was at the dollar store last night and there was a little boy that reminded me SO much of little Esther. He was happy, but screaming and kept taking off his shirt. His hair was wild and he definitely wanted to be seen and heard when mom was trying to pay the cashier. She kept looking back at the line behind her as if to say sorry with her eyes, so... with you in mind, I simply told her "Don't even worry about it! We're enjoying his one man show." She smiled with relief and let him do his thing long enough to pay and move on. It makes me think that your surroundings matter a whole lot when you have rambunctious kids. This may be stereotypical, but they exist for a reason. City life is all around more stressful, and people are often less forgiving and patient. I remember the first time a complete stranger yelled at me just for looking at him while walking along the street in Providence. My heart was beating fast for a good twenty minutes after that! I just wasn't used to that kind of confrontation. Now, having to drive through Denver, having visited many more places of different cultural surroundings, I can breath and take things a bit easier. But I can also stand up for myself!

    There's probably no real answer to the situation... Spread peace and love? (It's sadly not as contagious as negativity and hatred.) Learn not to care what people think? (WAY easier said than done.) How about just be you and raise your kids to be them (with some healthy boundaries) and life will work out how it's supposed to. :)

    Too hippie? Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know precious girl, I have spent the majority of my life working with children. I have always loved the freedom, openness, and fun-spirited energy they have. Do I believe in having them be respectful., courteous, well -behaved in public? YES!! But...do they have to be robots and "seen but not heard?" NO. I love their curiosity and enthusiasm. Don't stifle that with your children no matter what others say or looks you may get. As long as they are not in the personal space of another..let them be themselves. I realized a long time ago, when I am with little ones. (As old as I am that could be anyone under 30.) :)) that they give me the freedom to be me. Whether that's doing sommersaults or singing "funny " dittys or swinging along beside them...I didn't care about the looks or "clucking of the tongue and raised eyebrow. We are such an uptight adult generation. It is important to have fun, laugh, be silly and dance! Does any of this make sense?? Maybe not..however there is a child in all of us...I'm so blessed and thankful that I had many of you show me how to be silly, goofy, and most of all "enjoy the moment!! I love you sweetie. Allow your kids to be kids and you and Jon join them every now and then. You will live longer, with a smile on your face and a song in your heart. Enjoy the day to the fullest before your two little ones grow up and become adults!! :))

    ReplyDelete