I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Contentment Challenge--Day 1

I'm in one of those emotional places where nothing is right. My entire wardrobe needs to be trashed, I'm so sick of being bald that I want to scream, I can't figure out how to get my eye makeup to look normal, my nose keeps running, I don't have a house with a yard, and my husband and I don't go out for dates and take pictures of our cute selves together. I have too many wrinkles in my forehead, my cheeks are too puffy, I'm not a good kisser, and I can't sew. And my head is too small.

My number one enemy right now is comparison. I think everything would be just fine today if I weren't comparing my life to other people's. I look around, I look at magazines and Facebook photos, I watch movies...and I see "better" everywhere. And it really ticks me off.

So...I am challenging myself. For the next 7 days, I will practice contentment. Not the kind of resigned acceptance that doesn't allow people to feel true joy, but the kind of contentment that comes from a sincere appreciation of present conditions, no matter how they look in the light of another person's circumstances. We all know circumstances can change. We have all been surprised to find out that the perfect couple whose pictures used to gag us are now getting a divorce, or that the family whose kids win all the awards are struggling to hide a substance abuse issue. It's so easy to look at a photo and think it represents a perfect life, but the best we can usually claim is a near-perfect moment here and there.

So, this week I'm going to celebrate those moments with people. I'm going to find something each day to congratulate someone on. I'm going to find something each day to love about my life.

Today I celebrate the announcement of a baby on the way! My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are expecting, and they had a professional photo taken of the "belly embrace" that made me simultaneously feel joy for them and sadness for the lack of picture perfect moments in my own life. I guess that's just jealousy that I often don't think to document life with nice pictures. It's jealousy that I don't look like her. It's jealousy that I don't have a house to raise my own kids in.

But...today I celebrate the perfect moment with them. It's an amazing and special time in their life, and I am overjoyed that she and the baby are healthy...and that I will get to be an aunt!

As for me, I need to remember that I did have wonderful "mom-to-be" moments. Like this:

Living in an amazing city, right down the street from the beach, looking classy. I love that moment.

What moment can you celebrate today? What do you love about your life?

1 comment:

  1. I've been struggling with this a lot lately... comparing my life and self to others. But I've come to realize that I may not WANT those "picture perfect moments" in my life. I've never felt the need to be pregnant or even the desire to raise a child of my own. If it happened, it would be great, but it's not something I am planning on, to be perfectly honest. And I'm starting to realize the older I get, that that is OK!!! I'm going to have other amazing adventures. Awesome people will come and go from my life. I get to see my sweet niece and nephew when I want a kid fix. :) So even though it takes practice every day, I think you are on a great path (and helping lead others down one) of appreciation and acceptance of your own body and life. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete