I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Contentment Challenge--Day 3

My daughter really doesn't like to hear me put myself down. If I say I'm not as good at something as someone else, she flat out gets in my face and says "No, you're better!" If I admit weakness in an area or lament my lack of talent, she looks at me like I'm crazy and says "Yes, you're really good at that!"

What a gift! 

Often we laugh at the brutal honesty of children as they point out blemishes in public and innocently air our dirty laundry. But kids can also see right through the bull**** of our self-deprecating remarks and tell us the truth that we find so hard to admit--that we are not only good enough, but we are excellent.

So, today I accept the "me" my daughter sees: a musician, a singer, an artist, a beautiful woman, a chef, a fashionista, a genius, a mother. I am content that she sees me that way for now. I am content with the fact that I am enough of those things for her to experience, even she is using a rose-colored magnifying glass. 

Thanks sweetie. :) 

Can you be content to see yourself as someone else sees you today? 

4 comments:

  1. You and your daughter are amazing! She sees you as your truly are because she is an amazing judge of character and knows honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special heart she has. :) Remember too, that she comes from your special heart and carries your genes! You can learn just as much from her as she can from you. I miss you beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see Wendy's youthful knowledge here... Esther is walking in her mother's footsteps and she's going to be what we all see today in YOU. That wonderful woman with so many roles! Love you both, very proud of you both -- MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this contentment challenge. I looked at my son's dresser full of clean clothes today and I stopped to thank God. A dresser, many clothes and they're clean! And folded and out of the basket!

    ReplyDelete