I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

I Knew It!

One of the headlines on today's Yahoo! page took me to an article where I read the following:

"According to a recent survey conducted by Pantene, 60% of men surveyed would rather date a woman with great hair than noticeable curves — and 74% of them said they notice a woman because of her hair. In fact, a full 44% of male respondents said that hair was the first thing they notice about a woman… even before her clothes (26%), legs (25%) and makeup (4%)."

I knew it! Just when I was feeling good about my bald look...

Okay, two things. First, this was a poll done by Pantene, a company that makes hair products. As I teach my ESL students in my reading class, this is called bias.

Second, I'm married. Why do I care what men think of me when I walk out the door? Well, because my husband is a man. I want to be attractive to him.

This article, if true, is disheartening. I can't say I blame men, though. Hair is a beautiful thing. And if the article is false, a marketing tool and nothing more (which I suspect), it's sad that these messages keep getting perpetuated, making women with hair that falls far short of a Pantene commercial (or baldies, like me) feel inadequate.

By the way, ladies: what is the first thing you notice when you look at a man?

1 comment:

  1. It's hard for me personally to pinpoint one thing I notice in a man when I first look at him. It's kind of an over-all thing. He could be incredibly handsome but wearing torn and dirty clothes with his pants half tucked into his unlaced boots, and I would honestly notice the bad stuff first. He could have a crazy overbite and a gap in his teeth when he smiles, but have a great body and dress nice... and the over-all niceness would be what I'd notice first. So my point I guess is that it depends. No, not everyone is like me, but I think a lot are. If you take care of yourself, care about the way you look, dress "nice", you'll get noticed by SOMEONE.

    ReplyDelete