I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Beautiful Insomniacs

I had my TV on the other day while I was having lunch at home, and I heard this:

"Can't sleep? Don't let your skin show it." It was an ad for Estee Lauder's new Advanced Night Repair. I was shocked, although I guess I shouldn't have been.

If you can't sleep, there are bigger problems than how your skin will look in the morning. I happen to be quite experienced in this area. Lack of sleep, as we all know, is an indicator of one of several issues: stress, illness, anxiety, depression, and children. Those issues all call for help, whether from professional care providers or a close circle of friends and family. But women are being told to hide all that and put on a fresh face. We are told that beauty is more important than mental health.

Honestly, I have purchased night cream before. Not this particular one, but still--I have bought into this culture's emphasis on looking young and refreshed at all times. I'm not saying we can't take care of our skin and look our best when we go out and have to be confident enough to make our way in what has historically been a man's world. But I am saying that ad agencies and cosmetic companies cross the line when they push a product at the expense of a woman's well-being.

If you have insomnia, please place greater importance on seeking help than on looking good.


No comments:

Post a Comment