I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Shifting

Maybe it's boredom, maybe it's maturity, maybe it's self-love. Whatever it is, I feel a shift in how I see myself--at least for now, and at least at home.

I have gotten so fed up with my scarves. The tying, the constant repositioning, the annoying sense of restriction that comes with constantly carrying a pile of fabric on my head. When I'm at home, I don't want to wear anything on my head.

The problem is, I am more self-conscious in front of my husband than I am in front of anyone else. But lately, I have watched myself in the mirror as I take my scarf off, and I end up liking how my bald head looks even better than the scarf. This is a new thing.

Baldness and fashion. I think part of this shift in thinking is that I'm not just seeing my bald head, but I'm seeing how my bald head works or doesn't work with my outfit. My theory? Summer fashions need scarves and hats because there is already so much skin showing. But my bald head looks sleek and daring when I'm wearing winter clothes.

Here's what I'm wearing today:

 Not bad, not bad. But when I take the scarf off? Look:

Pop! Pow! You can see my earrings, my neck looks sexy rather than flabby, and my eyes get more light!

Okay, maybe this wasn't really a good example, since I happen to love how that scarf looks with this shirt. But take my word for it--I have looked great bald in so many of my winter outfits.

I'm pretty proud that I can write this today. Tomorrow I may want to cry about having no hair again, but today I like my bald look.

6 comments:

  1. This is sweet.... we all worry how our spouse will view us, and yet we need to remember they love so much more of us. We are so hard on ourselves. Now to the other issue - you with our without scarf. I had to laugh for a moment because you looked coy with the scarf, and the without it took on a whole different character with a smirk. HaHaHa,,, that's my very cool Wendy! -- MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be difficult to maintain but it's awesome to have those self love moments. :) You are one beautiful piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love this!! It's so true. I spent so long worrying about not looking like I used to, and then suddenly I realised I look cool this way too! I love how you write- I can totally identify. Delighted to make the connection :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS it's Karen from Rockin The Bald- hilarious this came up as Yeti!! My old nickname from school. Ironic now, huh??! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeti--here's an old link, but kind of funny: http://metro.co.uk/2010/04/06/mysterious-bald-yeti-creature-puzzles-locals-in-china-222763/

      Delete
  5. You look great without your scarf!

    ReplyDelete