I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Monday, March 10, 2014

I'm here, I'm staying

I went into a dressing room today and had a minor shock when I saw my reflection in the mirror. Washed out face, dark circles under my eyes, eyeliner rubbed off, wrinkles around my eyes and mouth that I'm sure weren't there yesterday. The lighting is never gentle in fitting rooms. Maybe it works for the clothes, but it does nothing for the face. I thought I was looking at my ghost.

And then I got over it! Mind you, I was in one of those stores, and picking out one of those pairs of jeans, where I would normally feel like I didn't belong if I didn't look totally hot already when I walked in the door.

But today I acknowledged the fact that I am older than I used to be, I'm a mother of two, I've had some minor health issues lately, and I'm at the tail end (I hope) of a harsher winter than I have endured in a long time. Maybe ever.

And I want a cute pair of jeans, no matter what I look like in that damn mirror.

Of course my skin will not look like a Cover Girl ad. Sadly, I don't carry an airbrush in my car. I still have every right to be in a hip store. And I accepted that today without shame.

I think this is a good step. Feeling like I deserve to be where I am. That I don't have to "fit the part" in order to allow myself to fully participate.

Tell me--where are those places that make you doubt your worth? Next time you go to one, take a minute to acknowledge the imagined "flaws" that feel very real to you, accept that you have them, and then let those thoughts pass right on through. Do what you went there to do.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I know about this! Any restroom! Even at work... I feel like I did ok putting on a face, looking fresh and sort of young! I feel it. Then I step into a room with harsh lights and see all the showings that I'm not looking so fresh, have grey hair and wrinkles, and red eyes..... lalala.

    Here's what I DO know. When I used to shop in those type of Chic stores, I realized the majority of people in their shopping were just like me. Not many models actually top themselves and wander into those shops. So let's all accept our natural flaws of life and "shop til you drop".... LOL -- MOM

    ReplyDelete