I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 10

This will be quick--it's way past my bedtime.

Today we (finally) had some snow on the ground, and I was in a friend's car when he decided to do doughnuts in the parking lot we were leaving. I don't think I've ever done that. It may sound hard to believe, but trust me--I was the biggest scaredy-cat (is that how you spell that?) around. I would have had a heart attack doing doughnuts in a car a few short years ago. Today I felt a bit exhilarated, if exhilaration is something you can feel just a bit of.

I also took my kids sledding today, and I was surprised at how impatient I was with their anxieties. We had a blast, but one time when they tumbled out and cried I actually laughed at them. Not to be mean, but it was pretty cute. I just kept thinking "Why are they being such wimps? I've got to show them how fun this is."

I didn't do anything daring today, but I was ready to. I was almost ready to step on a snowboard today. In my youth I was terrified of skiing, and while I had fun sledding, there were many instances where I was the solitary kid watching the thrills on the sidelines, held back by fear...and then tortured by regret at the thought that I missed out on the fun.

Today I was struck by how far I've come. It's a beautiful thing to let go of fears, whether you do so through talk therapy or medications. It was so fun to feel my heart beating fast with excitement rather than worry. I was a late bloomer, but I did bloom.

Have you recently recognized the beauty of maturing in some way? Or experiencing something you were afraid to experience in the past?

2 comments:

  1. Pushing thru Fear..... many of us are born with the gene that holds us back, but What Rewards are waiting for us when we actually do Push thru our Fears... You Go, Girl!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny you brought this up... I've been thinking alot about this kind of thing. Conquering fears, doing things I wouldn't normally do, feeling that adrenaline rush. That's so many things I've skipped out on because I've felt like I would be judged if I did it badly out differently our looked funny... But then I missed so many opportunities to laugh and feel a sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete