I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Friday, February 22, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 30

Well, we made it! Thanks for taking this journey with me. For the past month I have tried to find beauty in places I would not normally think to look for it. I have tried to comment on beauty that often goes unnoticed or is not classified as such.

I think what I've learned from this experiment is that, notwithstanding a few deep-seated, cultural stereotypes about beauty, I actually find it pretty easy to recognize the beauty around me.

It's much, much harder to recognize the beauty in me and in the circumstances I find myself in. I keep looking all around me and seeing beauty...and wishing that I could possess it, somehow. I still don't think I've truly internalized the truth that others see beauty in me that they wish they could possess. We all want what we think we don't have, right? Most of us, anyway. We are discontent. Well, okay--at the risk of pushing some of you away, I will keep this personal. I am discontent.

I am aiming for that day when I can see something or someone beautiful, appreciate it, and then turn around and be thankful for exactly who I am and what I have in that same moment. That sounds like freedom to me.

So here goes. This morning I saw a mom at my daughter's school with beautiful hair: shiny black with copper highlights, falling past the small of her back, slightly wavy. I appreciate that I can look at her hair and appreciate the aesthetics without having to deal with that much hair to wash every day myself.

Okay, now I have to turn around:



Hmmm...well, I see a beautifully smooth shape, a curve that is aesthetically pleasing. I see easy maintenance (and most of the time I am extremely thankful for that). I see connection to sun, sky and cold that many people don't feel. I see soft skin that loves to be touched with gentle admiration. I see a blank canvas. I see a woman who is totally unique and will probably always be noticed.

Deep breath...wow, that was hard! Okay, now you try. Celebrate the beauty of YOU!

I will take a couple days off from writing but this month-long experience has created momentum for me to write more frequently, so I will see you back here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment