I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 27



Israel Idonije. Defensive lineman for the Chicago Bears. Nigerian-Canadian. Daycare teacher? Founder of a charitable organization that serves at-risk youth in Chicago and impoverished families in Africa? (Check out the Israel Idonije Foundation.)

I heard him on the radio today. I love hearing about people who surprise me. As much as I hate to admit it, I view the world and the people in it through stereotypes much of the time. I love being confronted by my assumptions and shown a different news reel, so to speak.

I have been listening to public radio a lot lately. I love hearing about people, places and events that are hidden from the mainstream. These stories open up whole new avenues for me. My city is taking on new dimensions now that I am hearing real stories from real people every day in my car. I have a list of places I want to explore and events I need to put on the calendar.

Here are just a few:
Louder Than a Bomb: Chicago Youth Poetry Festival
Peace on Earth Film Festival at the Chicago Cultural Center
On Being American and More: A community conversation

It's a beautiful thing to become invested in your city or your community. I am growing to love Chicago and all the amazing programs going on here. Now, I don't have time to become a local activist or anything. But I do have time to take a step back and appreciate the fact that Chicago is not always what I assume it to be based on my very limited experience.

What stereotypes have you recently been delighted to find are wrong?

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool, to hear about you learning of new 'happenings' for you to be involved in. We should be more involved! We should be more aware. We WOULD see more beauty. Enjoy!

    As for me, I think I've always looked for the brighter side of people the majority of my days. At 56 I don't have any more sterotypes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around here, I'm usually surprised at any acts of good will or kindness from certain types of people. It seems like the majority of stereotypes become stronger and more truthful because the stereotyped people think "the world thinks I'm this way, anyway... I might as well not fight it." It's too easy to surrender and give up. So when I see someone fighting against the stereotype, it's a beautiful thing! (Hopefully that made sense... I was trying to stay genenral...) :)

    ReplyDelete