I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 17

Tonight I rediscovered the beauty of laughter. I haven't really laughed in awhile. Not because my life is so sad, but because I simply got out of the habit. Less nights out with girlfriends, more nights in washing dishes, you know how it goes.

Well, tonight I enjoyed hearing my own laugh. And that in itself is a beautiful thing, because for years I have despised the way my laugh looks and sounds. Self-conscious through and through, I have always been afraid of people finding my horsey-mouth laugh unattractive. Horsey-mouth=big open mouth, lots of gums showing:




Okay, it's not that bad, really. But that's pretty much how I look in my head.

And you know what? That image has kept me from experiencing what I think might be called, in Biblical terms, "fullness of joy".

Well, tonight I laughed (admittedly, with one and only drink in me) and I loved the sound of it. And I didn't care what I looked like--mostly because I was in a dark corner of a restaurant.

Hey, it's a start.

Do you love your laugh?

(Photo seen at http://lauriegan.blogspot.com/2010/09/dont-look-gift-horse-in-mouth.html)

2 comments:

  1. I love our laughs.... I love how us three can go anyway and laugh outloud without worries of those around us. People watching only wish they could join in!

    Mike and I laugh together alot, many nights we laugh ourselves to sleep. It's a wonderful thing - - keep laughing and the world laughs with you! :) Hee Haw

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one makes me laugh like my mom and sister can! That's the kind of laughter I think is most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete