I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Friday, February 15, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 23



I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I thought I be super productive and get tons of housecleaning done today. Part of that grand ambition included doing a load of laundry--pristine whites, to be exact. This load included my husband's undershirts, our bedsheets, and a brand new white shirt I bought last week.

Well, you may have already predicted what's coming next (hint: look at today's picture). Yes, there was a bright red dust rag in the bottom of the washer, unbeknownst to me. I'm not sure why, since I was the one who threw it in there earlier this morning after dusting.

So I have pink sheets, a brand new pink shirt, and I will send my husband to work with pink undershirts.

I suppose I should laugh. The thing is, this is only the latest in a long string of similar mishaps--stupid accidents that waste money and could have been prevented had I been paying just a bit more attention.

Here are a few of my recent "brilliant" moments:
--left son's potty seat in the locker room at daughter's swim lesson
--booked a flight under the wrong date
--left butter and cream cheese out on my counter all day after a trip to the store
--put chicken in a crock pot and then forgot to plug it in all day
--lost daughter's permission slip for a field trip (still can't find it, deadline is today)

...just to name a few. And that's all in a week's time.

So where's the beauty in this? That's where you, readers, come in. Today's post is interactive. I need your help to see beauty today. I keep having brief moments of confidence and contentment, only to be quickly reminded how close I am to the edge of a breakdown! I exaggerate...but not by much.

So help me see the beauty in my life and my crises. Because all feels futile right now.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sis... I know we all go through these moments. Moments that last weeks sometimes... and I wish I could help! I guess all I can say is find some time every day to meditate or a way to sleep more soundly if that's an issue. Anything to clear your mind and help you re-focus when you need to. Also, think about some moments when you pulled something together or came through for yourself or for your family/friends. Concentrating on those moments may give you the confidence to get through the flops and realize you're simply human. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the beauty in the midst of your life and crises...you are known, and loved and saved by the One who made the entire universe. In the grand scheme of things your mishaps of the week are insignificant. The beauty is that this big God knows you, thinks of you, loves you and holds these matters as significant because you do. Finding beauty in this world at best will leave you disappointed; finding beauty in your Maker, in the works of His hands, in His character will never, ever disappoint. Love you!

    Psalm 139

    For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

    1 You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
    2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
    3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
    4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
    5 You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
    6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
    8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
    11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
    12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.
    13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
    16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
    17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
    18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand—
    when I awake, I am still with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is beauty in your family, who love you unconditionally and would never hold mistakes against you. I bet everyone will get a laugh out of it, so laugh too! And I'm sure John looks great in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK.... so maybe someone who loves you will hold some mistakes against you thinking they never make such mistakes, but they still Love you, they just don't understand that a young working mother has so much on her mind that these things will happen - - on a regular basis. The beauty of these events is that you are not alone and have other fellow females who can share their stories with you - our support group. You can laugh & find beauty in their stories, and one day when telling yours a young mother can laugh too!

    ReplyDelete