I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Monday, February 18, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 26

Fuchsia. Emerald. Chartreuse. Ferrari Red. Electric orchid. Cyan.

No, these are not the names of celebrities' kids. You are probably aware that these are all colors. Colors of what, though? Sports cars? Nail polish?

Yes, at times. But sometimes, incredibly, they are hair colors!

One of my best friends recently dyed her hair this vibrant shade of red that can only be modified by the adjective "shocking". It's absolutely fabulous. It's a short, spiky cut that was made for this color red. And it's not that I really love the color. It wouldn't have been my first choice for her, actually. It's the fact that she took a risk and steps out every day in confident vulnerability that I love.


(Obviously this is not her, but the red is the same.)


Today I saw two women with similarly unconventional hair colors, and I couldn't take my eyes off their heads. Both had incorporated this beautiful, bottled purple color into their natural hair color, with stunning results.


I love the fact that we have the capability of decorating ourselves with such audacity. Not that we need it--but we can if we feel like it. And in my case, I don't even have to get messy. I just go down to the corner, buy a $30 wig from the neighborhood beauty supply store, and I'm good to go.



My absolute favorite is the black and purple combination. I love black and purple hair.
It is so sleek and darkly refined, strong without being tough.


Some say coloring your hair this boldly is unnecessary, wild, rebellious, anti-social, disrespectful, and on and on. But in this age, I think it's nothing but an expression of personality, mood, and/or desire. It's all in how you carry yourself. I personally think it's great that my kids have seen me put hair on and take it off without making a big deal of it. My daughter will have to think of another way to rebel, because I would love it if she came home with electric blue hair one day!

If you could try on a funky hairstyle for a day, what would you try? I thought I would be the last person on earth to wear chemically-dyed hair, but I've done it and it is pure liberation. Here are some looks I want to try:





Any votes?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the long black and purple one... and the bob with multiple colors on the ends would look so great on you! I think it's much more widely accepted to see those wild hairstyles and colors now. People compliment each other on the creativity, the boldness. Blondes no longer have all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, that woman with the red hair was ME! Thanks! I shaved it totally off with a buzz cut a few weeks later.

    ReplyDelete