I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 25

After a whole slew of days that looked like this--



--we finally had one that looked like this:



The sun has been so long in coming that my three-year-old couldn't stop asking me why it was so sunny this morning. My poor child doesn't think it possible that we could have a sunny day in winter!

Although it was too cold to get outside and enjoy the sun today, it was incredibly good for my soul to its afternoon rays streaming through my window as I played with my children. I felt this familiar comfort wrap around me, although it's a comfort not entirely free of melancholy. It's that winter afternoon light kind of feeling. I hope you have felt it before. It's the feeling of being totally at home, yet knowing that there is something fleeting about this moment--and also realizing the promise that you will find your true home one day.

All at the same time.

This kind of light most often hit me in the mountains as a young girl growing up in Colorado. It was very romantic; the kind of light for dreamers, which I have certainly always been. So now, when I see the same shade of afternoon in my city condo, I feel especially at home...and especially drawn to another place and time. It's a lovely paradox. It's being thankful for grace while knowing I have not experienced the fullness of it.

What's your favorite kind of sunshine?



2 comments:

  1. My favorite light is either at sunset or sunrise. I remember getting up with the sun many times in that blue and white blanket on the deck dad built for us! Back then it was am exciting experience, now it's more of a calming one with a sense of accomplishment, knowing that I have a full day ahead of me. And sunset is always so beautiful, with a new color to discover every time! I couldn't have described the light you spoke of nearly as eloquently... I can feel the grace and romance of it just reading about your lovely afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that certain feeling of 'being back home' on those certain fall afternoons when the sun seems to give a soft warm orange glow... it's low in the sky and it takes me to a place I go everytime it's like that - - a Sunday afternoon just before church, playing in the Fall Grass and feeling it's crispiness under my feet, waiting for my mom to haller out the door "time to come in & get ready"... and the excitement of knowing I'll be singing and fellowshipping with my family there!

    ReplyDelete