I began this blog as a way to redefine, or perhaps rediscover, the beauty of ME after losing all my hair to alopecia universalis over 5 years ago. Join me in the movement to see ourselves and our world through a lens not offered by our culture.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

30 Days of Redefining Beauty-Day 22

Happy Valentine's Day!

I'm doing things a little different today and posting in the morning! A few reasons why:

A. I want to see if the time of day affects who sees and reads my blog;
B. I already saw beauty today and I can't imagine seeing anything better;
C. I hope to spend my evening Valentining, not sitting in front of this computer!

Wow, sorry for all the exclamation marks. I must be happy today. Well, it is Valentine's Day, which means love (in all its forms) is all around.

You know, there is no better place to be on Valentine's Day than at the grocery store. Not only are you probably buying chocolate for yourself (admit it), you also get to watch the most beautiful thing ever: men buying gifts for their Valentines.


I don't want this post to sound trite. I realize that many people are dealing with pain, loneliness, broken hearts, and guilt today. But maybe it will help to read about the beauty of the interactions between strangers on this day when love and romance are celebrated (don't let your cynical side take over...I know this is a Hallmark and Hershey kind of holiday, but let's push doubt aside for the time being).

This morning I was at the store buying deodorant for my husband (that's what Valentine's Day can devolve into after years of marriage!) and I decided to pick up a couple plush animals for my kids. While I was in line, this guy in front of me was going back and forth between two very similar Valentine bouquets. He was undecided right to the very end. I so wanted to intervene and reassure him that both were equally lovely!

(Picture this guy, only in a parka, hoodie and military-style boots.)


The male cashier gave him such a big smile and genuine "Have a Happy Valentine's" that I had to come home immediately and blog about it. How beautiful is it to see two grown men looking like proud eight-year-old boys?!

Now, I don't know this man's story. I don't know who the flowers were for, or what was going on in his mind and heart when he decided to buy them. But as I looked around I saw dozens of other men holding heart-shaped boxes and balloons--not being terribly creative, but certainly making an effort--and I thought it was a beautiful sight. For that instant, they were thinking about how to please a partner, friend or relative. The toughest exteriors often conceal soft, plush hearts that only want to please. That's lovely, isn't it?

What beautiful interactions have you witnessed today? Whether you have someone giving you a Valentine or not, maybe it's time to redefine Valentine's Day and see it as a chance to witness unselfishness all around, if only for this one day. No matter your situation, that can be celebrated.

2 comments:

  1. I saw something beautiful on the internet today that (hopefully) people have been putting into place in the real world. The idea is to scatter Valentines in your city for anyone who comes across them to read and share! How lovely would it be to pick up a card when you're walking around lonely on Valentine's Day and realize that you're not alone? That other people are making an effort to share at least a little of the warmth that everyone should feel everyday. I have been cynical about Valentine's Day in the past, but now I just see it as a reminder that love should be given every day. And today is just a kick start reminder of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both agree!!!! We want to celebrate this EveryDay - and you know what? We do. We celebrate the birthday, our anniversary, and these day's of Love Celebrated for the whole month of the event. It's been fun - my October Birthday and now this February month of Anniversary is always very special. Happy Month of Celebration to you all.

    ReplyDelete